The International Association of Centers for Federal Studies (IACFS)
- representing 26 independent research centers, from 16 countries on five continents, dedicated to the study of federalism as a mechanism, among other things, of accommodating diversity and settling conflicts;
- expresses deep concern with the current political situation in Catalonia and Spain;
- is deeply concerned that one of its member centers in Catalonia is being investigated and searched in disregard of the need to respect academic freedom;
- rejects violence and advocates for dialogue;
- regrets that Catalonia has not been able to find a suitable accommodation within Spain, and
- therefore, believes that negotiations between the Governments of Spain and Catalonia should take place in order to consider and debate all reasonable options, and
- reminds all parties that federalism aims to accommodate diversity through negotiation and agreement in order to prevent, manage and solve conflicts.
Adopted by the Board of Directors on 13 October 2017 in Fribourg, Switzerland.
The IACFS is an interdisciplinary association of centers and institutes throughout the world with interests in independent research and publication about political, constitutional, legal, administrative, fiscal, economic, historical and philosophical issues relevant to political systems which have federal features. The Association seeks to further the study and understanding of federal principles and patterns in all their variety. See http://iacfs.org/